CajonMaster Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Members Home Forums New Members Introductions READ FIRST! New Users Introduce Yourself

• Wolfgang

January 16, 2022 at 11:24 am

Hello from Germany,

My name ist Wolfgang and I’m 54 years old. I’ve been playing cajon for 1 1/2 years now. I currently own 2 cajons – a Sela varios and a Pur STAINED OQ and at the moment I take lessons by a local cajon teacher every week.

I don’t have a specific goal other than improving my Cajon playing. I am therefore looking forward to additional tips and suggestions.I am therefore looking forward to additional tips and suggestions.

• Felipe

Administrator
      January 18, 2022 at 11:09 pm

Hi Wolfgang,

Welcome to the members area! Glad to have you on board 🙂

Thanks for sharing a bit about your experience with the cajon. Let me know if you need any help with the courses, I will be happy to help.

Enjoy the process 😉

Talk soon,

Felipe

• Bill

March 11, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Hi my name is Bill, live in Canada and used to drum back when I was a kid! A long long time ago! I recently spent a long weekend up at the cottage and my brother brought along his guitar. He played and we sang til the wee hours of the morning. I was beating up my dinning room table keeping beat. He suggested I get a Cajon! Can’t go far on YouTube researching Cajon’s without discovering Felipe! Bought myself a Meiln subwoofer base and here I go!

• Felipe

Administrator
      March 12, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Welcome Bill!

Thanks for introducing yourself. Great to have you here.

Enjoy the courses and let me know if you need any help along the way.

Talk soon,

Cheers!

• Gina

March 22, 2022 at 3:31 am

Hello, my name is Gina and I come from Singapore. I love drums of all sorts and decided to pick up cajon as it has a small footprint and seems more manageable for a total beginner with no music background vs a full drum set. I’m looking forward to receiving my new Meinl cajon and get started with the lessons in Cajonmaster.com.

• Felipe

Administrator
      March 22, 2022 at 8:16 am

Hi Gina,

I’m glad to have you here. Congrats for your new cajon, you’ll like it! 😉

Looking forward to see you progress with the courses.

Enjoy!

• Richard

March 27, 2022 at 12:37 pm

Hi Felipe, I am not a musician but received a set of bongos for Christmas. While searching the internet for instruction, found your videos and have been hooked; ever since.

In my seventies and newly retired, I purchased a Meinel Cajon. You make learning fun and can spend hours practicing and playing.

Finished the Foundation and about ready for the Groove Course.

Hi y’all from Alabama.

• Felipe

Administrator
    March 27, 2022 at 6:01 pm

Hey Richard,

thanks for your message. It’s great to know you are enjoying playing the cajon and just finish the first course, cool!

Keep up the good work and let me know how it goes and if you need anything 😉

Talk soon,

Felipe

• Scott

March 29, 2022 at 7:57 am

Hello, my name is Scott and I’m from Canada, eh. I’ve been playing percussion instruments now for about 2 years, keyboards for 11 years, and before that, (jazz) guitar for about 25 years. I just got a Meinl Woodcraft cajon and Meinl bass pedal to go along with a ride cymbal and hi-hats. I’m trying to develop a contemporary jazz, cinematic sound.

• Felipe

Administrator
      March 29, 2022 at 8:18 am

Welcome Scott!

Thanks for introducing yourself here. I’m glad to have you on board!

Enjoy the courses and hit me up if you need anything 😉

Talk soon,

F

• Kathleen

April 8, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Hi! I’ve been playing the cajon a few days. LOL! I’m from South Carolina, USA. I play piano, and I sing. My husband, an accomplished guitarist and singer, noticed that I had a natural aptitude when I picked up the slap top cajon that he had sitting in a corner, unused, for about a year. We started playing together at home, practicing the songs he usually plays at open mic nights. Last night, I got up on stage with him at an open mic and accompanied him on the cajon while he played guitar. What a thrill! I’m so excited to be here!

• Felipe

Administrator
      April 10, 2022 at 2:09 pm

Hi Kathleen,

Welcome on board! Glad to have you here.

Enjoy the lessons and hit me up if you need help 😉

Cheers!

F

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Felipe.
  • Michal

June 8, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Hello everyone,

Michal from Czech Republic here. I do not consider myself as a musician, but I’ve always wanted to play drums. My first try with electronic ones ended up with selling them after months of collecting dust. Then at one bachelor party my friends came up with a cajon and we found out that my few trainings on drums were good enough so we jammed a little.

Those friends have a small band and they are playing at small birthday parties, weddings (Two guitars and violin). And after two years they took me with them to try it with cajon. And it was absolutely great. And when they gave me some money they had from the gig, it was obvious that I have to invest those to myself and learn how to be even better at cajon playing.

So here I am. Trying to learn something new on the borrowed cheapest cajon made by Gecko and be ready for the next gig. And then maybe to buy my own cajon.

PS: I’ve recorded one song from that gig if you are interested. It was towards the end so sorry for the audio and music quality 🙂

• Peter

July 2, 2022 at 4:42 am

Good job Michal! You say you are not a musician, but you clearly have a good sense for what to play and when to play it, and when to play louder and softer…keep up the Good Work!

-Peter

• Peter

June 25, 2022 at 11:24 pm

Hello Fellow Cajon Players,

My name is Pete from Southern California…I just recently bought a Meinl Snarecraft Professional Cajon with the walnut tapa, and the cool 2 in 1 snare on-off knob. I’ve been playing it now for a few weeks. I was a drummer as a kid, but since then I’ve been mostly a jazz guitarist. I played in some clubs, various concerts, ultimately with the highlight of playing in the Montreaux Jazz Festival in a big band. My goal is to become proficient and creative as a cajon player, and improve my overall sense of time and groove; which I think is a lifelong journey. I’ve come to understand the cajon is a remarkable instrument in its own right, with a long and significant history; not just a crude replacement for a drumset as I once thought! How wrong I was! I ultimately want to be able to record high quality demos with me on cajon, bass, and guitar…and just play Cajon with friends and family!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Pete

• Ernests

July 6, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Hi!

I am 38-year old from Riga, Latvia. I’ve learned piano in music school, singed in various choirs since childhood, but always had good sense for rhythm – I even considered to switch to drums in music school but was discouraged to do so.

My friends build me a cajon on their own as a present in around 2010, so I occasionally played on it until I joined a worship band in my parish. I’ve played with them for about 2 years until our first child was born – it changes plans and habits as most of you might know 🙂 So I had a considerable pause and cajon was entertaining kids at the Sunday school for about 9 years now. But just recently I’ve been asked to join another parish band so it’s time to get the juices flowing and improve upon my skill.

The main goal/ambition is to:

– get better at coming up with grooves so that they are not too repetitive nor boring (so that each song sounds different)

– during rehearsals I want to have an ability to write down a pattern if I or others find it the best for particular song (as mainly I improvise on the spot based on some main song pattern)

– get better at various fills

– improve technique as I basically have learned by myself and maybe it’s not the most optimal way even if it sounds ok

So basically I want get more professional at cajon. Being a father of 4 still has some constraints on free time, so I hope these courses will help me out to focus better on may goals.

Cheers!

• Yesong

August 18, 2022 at 3:28 pm

Hi I’m Yesong. I’m from South Korea and I’m 23 years old.
    I play guitar so I’ve been playing the cajon time to time from 2018, but I got motivated to learn more grooves recently.
    I’m practicing with a Schlagwerk 2in1. It’s not my own, so I’m eager to buy one soon.

Cheers,
    Yesong

• Felipe

Administrator
      August 21, 2022 at 12:18 pm

Hi Yesong, welcome on board!

Enjoy the courses and contact me if you need anything.

Cheers!

• Mark

August 22, 2022 at 7:22 pm

Hello – this is Mark, I currently live in the UK. My main instrument is bass but a few years ago I bought a cojon with the intention of learning to play it ‘one day’. Well, ‘one day’ finally arrived and after following Felipe on youtube for a while and checking out a few other teachers I decided Felipe’s courses were the ones for me. So here I am, and it’s very nice to meet y’all.

• Felipe

Administrator
      August 23, 2022 at 10:03 am

Welcome Mark!

Thanks for introducing yourself. It’s great to see you here as a member.

Have fun with the courses and contact me here if you need help.

Cheers!

• Riley

August 26, 2022 at 9:38 am

Hello and greetings from Santa Barbara, California, USA. My name is Riley and I am 54 years old and retired. I have two sons, 18 and 10 years old, who are both flamenco dancers. I decided to learn to play the cajon as a way to be more involved in my boys’ flamenco activities. I hope someday to be able to accompany them on cajon while they perform.

Due in large part to Felipe’s influence I purchased two Meinl Artisan Edition flamenco cajons, one for me and one for my oldest son. One is the Buleria Line with Lava Burl tapa and the other is the Seguiriya Line in Canyon Burl. They are beautiful instruments and sound great. The flamenco musicians that I know speak very highly of the manufacturer Pepote, and I couldn’t be happier with my selections.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of the group and I look forward to learning cajon with you!

Best,

Riley

• Benjamin

November 14, 2022 at 11:04 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Ben and I live in British Columbia, Canada. I have been playing music of various styles for almost 30 years. I play guitar, keyboard, bass and trombone. I’m also a vocalist. I decided it’s finally time for me to take the plunge into the world of percussion and I think cajon is a great starting point. Eventually I hope to get a drum set and learn that too. I don’t have any public performance goals at this point, but it could happen as I have some friends I play with from time to time. I sometimes play at a local church too. I do like to play around with recording on my DAW and adding some real beats instead of loops or samples would be nice. Looking forward to the lessons and connecting with this cajon community.

• Stephen

November 21, 2022 at 4:16 pm

Hello!

My name’s Steve. I just turned 70 one week ago so it’s possible that I might be the oldest member of the Cajon Master Subscribers!

I’ve been playing kit drums, congas and cajon for many years now…though not congas for the past few years. I’m entirely self-taught on all the instruments which both is, and is not, a good thing. On kit drums I’ve played in various “rock” bands, all amateur, over the years. On cajon I mainly play with my current, and only band, when the drum kit isn’t appropriate. I’ve also played in a couple of ceilidh bands solely on cajon.

The reason I’ve joined this community is that I love playing the cajon and I now want to learn how to play it properly. Up until now, I’ve played it as though I were playing a drum kit. This isn’t necessarily bad, but…when I listen to very good cajon players, which Felipe most certainly is, that’s how I want to play and sound.

This is an adventure I’m very much looking forward to.

Steve

• Felipe

Administrator
      November 22, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Hi Stephen, welcome on board!

Thanks for sharing you experience here and I’m sure you will have a lot fun here learning the cajon.

Any question you might have you can contact me direct via inbox here in the members area. Also, if you want to film yourself playing the exercises and send it to me to receive feedback you’re most than welcome

Have fun with the courses and I will see you soon.

Cheers

Felipe

Page 2 of 3