CajonMaster Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Members Home Forums New Members Introductions READ FIRST! New Users Introduce Yourself

• metti.mt

September 14, 2023 at 11:23 am

Hello from Hankasalmi, Finland!

Well, last week happened so, that in the need of a percussionist I needed to sit on, and somehow survive with a cajon on an (non-professional) skiffle band rehearsal. So: have I been playing the cajon only about 1 whole hour!

But, djembe do I own, and that instrument have I played anyway, and some shaman drums, too, and have had at least some possibility to try (afro + latin) with the other “hand drums” (congas etc.) anyway, and those I like a lot – so I still am alive ๐Ÿ˜‰

The first touch to cajon was anyway quite inspiring: so I checked what the YouTube might have to offer me – and found your free 3 lesson beginner course. At home played it through with a cardboard box as a substitute to the real cajon, and at the end you offered the possibility to join in with the bundle of 4 courses. I hope, with those I get more understanding and know-how of different rhythms – I mean styles – for to being able to play it “right and properly”. And, of course the playing technique specially for this instrument, too. So: here I am.

I do not own a cajon (yet) – but need to buy or rent one, of course. I only want the SOUND to be as much the one, that pleases my ear, so I think, it takes some time to find just the one that I want to be mine.

I am a professional music teacher and music therapist. 62 years young, so in a very good age to start something almost new, right? My main or professional instruments – those which I teach – are recorder, classical guitar and ukulele. So: my main musical comfort zone is early and classical music. But I have played also tuba, cello, bass, piano, and sung. So: that background might help me with the cajon, or vice versa: be a ball and chain. Weยดll see…

• Felipe

Administrator
      September 22, 2023 at 8:02 am

Welcome Mervi!

Thank you so much for sharing your background with us and your goals with the cajon. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you need help. Enjoy the courses, cheers!

• metti.mt

September 23, 2023 at 5:49 pm

Hi! The Cajon Foundation Course completed. Which course you suggest me to take next? Groove Course 1 or Fills Course 1? I mean, have you thought the courses to be in some kind of order, or are they on the same level – and it is just ok to take either- or of those, the one that “just feels right”?

• mkd3012

September 15, 2023 at 5:39 pm

Hello Group! Excited to be apart of this community. I am from Tennessee, US and I am new to the cajon and just learning. Really excited to start as I got my new cajon yesterday!

• Felipe

Administrator
      September 22, 2023 at 8:00 am

Welcome Mitch! Enjoy the courses and hit me up if you need anything ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 30, 2024 at 6:12 pm

Hello, I’m Nate from California. I have been playing cajon for probably less then a month but have recently been wanting to get better. I like percussive instruments and play (or try to) cajon, egg shakers, foot tamborine, claves, and cowbell.

• paddycarney1

April 4, 2024 at 12:25 pm

Hi All I’m Paddy from the UK,

brand new to the Cajon and loving getting started, Ghost notes are a challenge to get my hands not to follow the other hand in the beat but I’m sure I’ll get there.. Loving trying though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Felipe

Administrator
      April 15, 2024 at 12:02 pm

Welcome Paddy! happy to have you here.

I’ve sent a reply to your other post about ghost note, have a look ๐Ÿ˜‰

Page 4 of 4