CajonMaster Forum

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Members Home Forums Equipment What cajon do you play?

• What cajon do you play?

Posted by Dimitri on June 2, 2023 at 8:57 am

Hello everyone

I was wondering what cajon you guys play. What you like or don’t like about it.

I myself have a cajon that I built myself about twenty years ago, but have not done much with it. Now that my eleven-year-old daughter has been taking drum lessons for a while and is also starting to play the cajon, I feel like jamming again. Because I’ve never actually played on a “real” cajon, I have no idea how good or bad my cajon is. ; )

Dimitri replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Dimitri

June 17, 2023 at 3:18 pm

Hello cajon lovers

I didn’t expect to be the first to reply to my own post, but I spoiled myself with a meinl slaptop cajon (TOPCAJ2WN). And I’m super happy with it. The body is mdf and the tapa is walnut photo finish instead of real walnut wood. As a wood enthusiast, that was a bit of a disappointment. But the sound is really good. A very nice deep bass, and also clear bongo sounds in the middle, completely separated from the snare sounds on the sides. I am really impressed with the beautiful sounds. Ergonomically speaking, the slaptop is of course super comfortable. It is no longer possible to sag on your back unnoticed. Because you play on top of the instrument you are forced to sit upright, which feels very nice. I probably don’t need to emphasize that I’m super happy with it.

Greetings Dimitri

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Dimitri.
  • Denise McIlroy

July 6, 2023 at 12:47 pm

Hi Dimitri.

Glad you decided on a cajon and you like it. Is it the one you rest between your knees like a djembe?

I’ve got a Cruz Cajon by Heidi Joubert. I love everything about it.

Denise 😎

• Dimitri

July 6, 2023 at 1:08 pm

Thank you for your response Denise. Yes the T shaped one with the tapa on top. Very responsive and so comfortable to play. Where are you from ? I live in The Netherlands.

Greetings Dimitri

• Dimitri

July 6, 2023 at 2:02 pm

I assumed it because of your name and the origin of your cajon. My oldest daughter lives in Edinburgh.

• earthechoes

August 4, 2023 at 11:02 am

I have the Meinl Snarecraft baltic birch with pickup. Which I have been playing while going through the foundation course. It has a great sound acoustic and when put through an amp.

I have also got the Meinl practice cajon, which no doubt will pleases my neighbors, which actually sounds great considering its size. The bass is sufficient for definition while practicing and the slaps, tones are excellent. I have also just got the meinl jumbo bass subwoofer cajon which I’m sure is gona p my neighbors off no end lol. Just kidding, I have a small space that I book for practice sessions, that thing has got some serious low end boom. I love it

• Dimitri

August 4, 2023 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for sharing Lee.

Grtz Dimitri

• Harald

August 15, 2023 at 2:24 pm

My Cajon is a PUR Vision Pro santos palisander

• Dimitri

August 16, 2023 at 6:08 am

Thanks for sharing Harald. Greetings Dimitri

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    January 30, 2024 at 6:10 pm

Im relatively new to cajon, so i have a cheap woodcraft series cajon from Meinl

• Dimitri

January 30, 2024 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for sharing Nate. Nothing wrong with that cajon. Have fun!

• Raffaele

February 8, 2024 at 10:46 am

hello, I started to play the Cajon not so long ago and I practised with one that my cousin gave me, it’s a very basic and cheap flamenco cajon. I recently bought an AmaCajonDrum cajon made by Attilio Celona who is an Italian artesan, I’ve got the Prestige one with extrabass, very good quality, it sounds great. Attilio lives near my neighbourhood so I had the opportunity to meet him and listen and try his Cajons.

• Dimitri

February 8, 2024 at 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing Raffaele.

• Frans

March 1, 2024 at 9:05 am

I have a Schlagwerk CP85 Rudiments Style. Just bought it last week. I feel it’s fine for a beginner like me. Snares sound good, bass too.

By the way, I live in the Netherlands too.

• Dimitri

March 1, 2024 at 11:13 am

Thanks for sharing Frans

Grtz Dimitri